Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Kit Bash: British Airborne 6pdr Gun

Over the Xmas break I've been busy with my British airborne project and have continued on my quest to replace all metal models with plastic conversions. Next up on my list was a 6pdr gun with the aim of both converting the crew and making a scenic base for the gun. 

British airborne troops with a 6-pdr anti-tank gun in Hamminkeln, Germany 1945

I was inspired by the many 'diorama' bases I've seen online that people make for their artillery pieces and wanted to try my hand at something similar. I started with a 9.5cm X 8.0cm piece of plastic card as the foundation and positioned where I wanted the gun and crew to be on the base. I then built up some ground and dirt using milliput. I also left some spaces for bases of the crew so they can be removed as casualties easily while playing. 
WIP of the gun and base. This is my second time making a metal 6pdr and it was still an absolute dog of a model to put together.

Everything was then covered in PVA and sand and then spray painted and painted up just like the bases on my usual British airborne infantry. I was aiming for a look that was on the edge of a city. Maybe on the outskirts of Arnhem firing into the German counter attack? I made the shrubs from tissue paper soaked in PVA and water then covered them in flock.The ammo boxes and shells all came with the gun. 

The finished diorama base.

Next up was the crew. In bolt action 6pdr guns have a crew of three but nearly every photo I've seen on them has at least 4 people working around the gun so not sure what is correct. The conversions were extremely simple and I think they have effectively represent a gun crew.

The gunner

First up was the gunner. This was a simple conversion that only used British airborne parts. The right arm is the arm holding the Sten gun with the gun clipped off and the left arm is direct from the airborne sprue. I imagine he is looking down the sight and ready to fire.

 

The loader

The loader was another simple conversion. All British airborne parts with the shell taken from the Rubicon Pak40 plastic kit (a dreamy kit compared to the metal warlord one!). The right hand is actually a left hand but you can't really tell when its all on the table haha!


The spotter

Finally is the spotter. This model was made from British airborne parts and Waffen SS bits. The left arm is from the SS sprue and the right hand holding binoculars is from the German Grenadier sprue. I imagine he is about to bring down his arm and yell "FIRE!".


Here is the final product all together:




Overall I'm very happy with how it all turned out. I think I've captured a dynamic scene of the crew frantically loading the gun while under attack. I was a little dubious about the diorama bases as while they look great, they aren't the best for gameplay and moving pieces around terrain. I decided with it anyway as models are on the display case 99% of the time and the gaming table 1% so net worth it in the end.

Looking forward to another year of Bolt Action and hobby fun!

Singing off,

Chewie


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scenario 3: The Battle for Nijmegen

  The Waal Bridge and Nijmegen following the battle. Background: Tuesday 19th September 1944 - the British Guards Armored Division and US 82...