Saturday, September 9, 2023

Kit Bash: US Airborne Forward Radio Operator

 

US Airborne on a SCR-300 "Walkie Talkie" radio

The SCR-300 Walkie-Talkie was a significant technological advancement in military communications during World War II. Its portability and reliability made it a valuable tool for infantry units, allowing them to communicate effectively and adapt to changing battlefield conditions. Inspired by various photos I had seen I decided to try my hand at making a dedicated forward observer model for my US airborne army with one of these radios. Previously I had just been using my Mortar team spotter (a guy holding binoculars) who definitely looked the part but was a bit awkward if I ever wanted to field my spotter + observer in the same game.



 

The conversion is simple enough - I used a mixture of US airborne, US army and wargames atlantic french resistance pieces to make the full plastic model.  The radio is a US ammo box with a bit of broom bristle as antenna. The earpiece is a binocular with a german grenade head and a bit of wire. Finally I like the helmet off look and the resistance fighter head was a great fit.

All in all this was a simple conversion which I feel really captures the scene of the radio operator taking a rest and relaying some co-ordinates to the battery behind the line (or pilots in the air!). I hope it inspires others to use their bits boxes creatively to make some unique models!

Signing off,

Chewie.



 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Scenario 3: The Battle for Nijmegen

  The Waal Bridge and Nijmegen following the battle. Background: Tuesday 19th September 1944 - the British Guards Armored Division and US 82...